Elder Tyler Haslam

Elder Tyler Haslam
Elder Tyler James Haslam

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Week 81 - Mare's Baptism - So Happy!

Hi Everyone! 

It's been a pretty incredible week! Here are some of the cool things that happened.

On Thursday, we volunteered at the local food bank and had a lot of fun with the other volunteers there. Then, we drove down to Dartmouth to pick up my new companion, Elder Bringhurst. He's so awesome!! I'm going to have a ton of fun serving with him. Then we went to a dinner appointment that I thought was going to be just with the Drennan family, but the Morrison and Spinney families showed up there too to surprise me. They all celebrated my 20th birthday with me, so that was an awesome experience that I'll always remember. I'm so grateful I was in Kentville for my birthday!!! 

Friday, we made our final preparations for Mare's baptism. We also taught a lesson to our investigator Troy. Last lesson, he put himself on date for baptism March 31st. We thought he could make it, but we hadn't taught him tithing yet. That was the only commandment he hadn't been taught by us at that point. Troy's main problem is that he often looks at what he loses with particular commandments rather than what he could gain. So we were worried that tithing would be hard for him. But we taught him tithing on Friday and he just accepted it so easily!!! So if all goes well, we may see Troy get baptized at the end of this month!!

Saturday was probably the best day I've had on my mission. Mare was baptized!!!! She loved the whole service. She cried a lot haha. She bore her testimony, and I felt the spirit SO strongly. At that moment, I knew more of the truthfulness of the gospel than at any other point of my life. The gospel has changed Mare's life. I've been able to witness it from the moment we knocked on her door all the way to her baptism. The gospel simply can't not be true!!!! If it were fake or something like that, it wouldn't have power to influence Mare's (and all of our lives!!) for so much good. We went to Boston Pizza that night to celebrate and I had some beast pasta. Man, it was a good day!!

Sunday I had the opportunity to confirm Mare. She's so converted. Later, we had dinner with her at the Morrisons and taught her about the sacrament.

Monday, we had a bunch of Skype meetings, and we had to continue putting our area book into our phone. That was a long day haha. We went knocking all evening though, and we found a cool potential from Jamaica. We think he'll be a new investigator.

This was an amazing week. It definitely strengthened me and my conviction for the gospel. I have no doubt in my mind that this is true. It has turned Mare into a completely different person, and it's turned me into a better person as well. We often forget the purpose of the gospel. It's there not just to cleanse us. It's there to help us be transformed into someone like Jesus Christ, day by day, week by week, and month by month. The changes don't happen over night, but as we adhere to the principles of the gospel, changes do come. Those changes help us prepare to meet God and live in His presence again. I testify of this.

Love you all! Hope you have a good week! 


Elder Bringhurst, Elder Haslam, Mare Hatt, Elder Carlson